Tuesday, October 14, 2008

MUGGING

GARETH SAYS…

I was recently away on a work trip and within two hours of getting off the plane I had two men trying to rob me at knifepoint. It was broad daylight and on a beach. I was a bit shocked – this was the first time anything like this had happened to me. I always wondered how I would react and now I know…

I was sitting down when the men approached me. As they grabbed me and pulled the knife I stood up and pushed them away. I’m guessing they didn’t think I looked as big as I am sitting down. They were a bit taken aback by my reaction and let me just walk away (rather quickly). My wallet was still mine and so was my camera.

When I told the clients I was there to meet about what had happened they couldn’t believe how lucky I had been. I realize that what I did wasn’t the smartest thing – they could have decided to teach me a lesson. Gulp!!! My reaction was pure reflex and born out of the fact that when you don’t have much (which is certainly what life is like on ONB) you fight for what you do have as hard as you can.

I’m still a bit shaken by the whole thing but there was one benefit… I told the American Airlines woman when I checked in for my return flight and she gave me a highly prized fire exit seat because she felt sorry for me. Woooo hoooo.

1 comment:

Steve said...

Glad you're okay - had a similar experience and a similar reaction in Manilla once.

Maybe not smart - but certainly good for your masculinity quotient