Saturday, September 13, 2008

"Don't mention ze debt"

GARETH SAYS...

A friend of mine said that he wouldn't go round telling people about Operation Night Brace. He thinks they'll form a bad opinion of me. He said it was like a 'drug problem' and is better not shared with people. It's unprofessional.

I'm not exactly sure how i feel about this advice. I know that debt comes with a stigma but i don't think it is up their with a chronic drug habit. I also think there are different types of debt...

BAD DEBT
Amy run up a debt of $180,000 shopping and going on holidays around the world

GOOD DEBT
Amy ran up the debt putting herself through 3 colleges which are the US equivalent of going to Cambridge then Oxford then the Royal College Of Art because her parents couldn't help her.

Hardly a drug problem i think you'll agree!

I'm proud of my poor but smart fiancée xxxx

2 comments:

jomykje said...

I don't agree with your friend. I think you are doing a great job and you can both be proud of yourselfs! I am glad you are sharing your story with us, I find it really inspiring!
thank you!

Jorien

HJ said...

I don't agree with your friend either. When I was a kid, my Dad gave me a piece of advice - "Your finances is nobodies business but your own" and it was great being able to say that back to him when he asked how much debt I had.

But it's not good advice. There's no good in bragging about how much you earn, but keeping your debt secret is like burying your head in the sand.

I think you're both doing a great job, you'll be at 7 numbers soon enough!