Sunday, June 15, 2008

Cult Leader

AMY SAYS...

One afternoon about two months ago Gareth gave me a book on Cults. He said he thought I'd get a kick out of it. I started reading it, the more I read the more panicked I got.
This is what it said:

A Practical Guide to Cults

Mind Control Techniques

HYPNOSIS
Inducing a state of high suggestibility by hypnosis, often thinly disguised as relaxation or meditation.
(When I met Gareth he was very keen on giving me massages ;)

PEER GROUP PRESSURE
Suppressing doubt and resistance to new ideas by exploiting the need to belong.
(The only way we can move on with our lives is to get rid of "The Debt")

LOVE BOMBING
Creating a sense of family and belonging through hugging, kissing, touching and flattery
(Gareth is ALWAYS complimenting, hugging and kissing me!!)

REJECTION OF OLD VALUES
Accelerating acceptance of new lifestyle by constantly denouncing former values and beliefs.
(I WANTED to let the loans die with me - he said "NO")

CONFUSING DOCTRINE
Encouraging blind acceptance and rejection of logic through complex lecture on an incomprehensible doctrine.
(The night we decided to do Operation Night Brace we were at a strange Japanese pop show. Gareth stayed up all night working out the numbers and saying, "We have no choice, we HAVE to do this!" He lectured me until 6am - with his accent though I barely understood any of it ;)

METACOMMUNICATION
Implanting subliminal messages by stressing certain key words or phrases in long, confusing lectures.
(Again he speaks British - I truly have NO FUCKING clue what he says most of the time... except, on occasion I hear things like "this is the best plan... there is no other way to do it.")

REMOVAL OF PRIVACY
Achieving a loss ability to evaluate logically by preventing private contemplation.
(I LIVE WITH MY MOTHER AND GARETH - they are around me at all times!)

TIME SENSE DEPRIVATION
Destroying ability to evaluate information, personal reactions, and body functions in relation to passage of time by removing all clocks and watches.
(The only clock in our room is broken - it says 6:00 all the time!)

DISINHIBITION
Encouraging child-like obedience by orchestrating child-like behavior.
(If anyone knows Gareth they will understand my point here!)

UNCOMPROMISING RULES
Inducing regression and disorientation by soliciting agreement to seemingly simple rules which regulate mealtimes, bathroom breaks and use of medications.
(Need I say anything here?)

SLEEP DEPRIVATION AND FATIGUE
Creating disorientation and vulnerability by prolonging mental and physical activity and withholding adequate rest and sleep.
(Uh Gareth has a lot of energy ;)

DRESS CODES
Removing individuality by demanding conformity to the group dress code.
(We wear the same things over and over - between us I think we only own about 6 T-Shirts!)

CONFESSION
Encouraging the destruction of individual ego through confession of personal weakness and innermost feelings or doubts.
(Uh - that would be, hmmm let me see, oh right THIS FUCKING BLOG!!!)

FINANCIAL COMMITMENT
Achieving increased dependence on the group by 'burning bridges' to the past, through the donation of assets.
(Yeah)

FLAUNTING HIERARCHY
Promoting acceptance of cult authority by promising advancement, power and salvation.
(He says we will celebrate and live happily ever after if we do this now)

ISOLATION
Inducing loss of reality by physical separation from family, friends, society and rational references.
(You would think this doesn't fit but because we now live with my mother it has actually separated us!)

CONTROLLED APPROVAL
Maintaining vulnerability and confusion by alternately rewarding and punishing similar actions.
(Gareth is very proud that I quit smoking!)

CHANGE OF DIET
Creating disorientation and increased susceptibility to emotional arousal by depriving the nervous system of necessary nutrients through the use of special diets.
(I QUIT SMOKING!!! Oh and I eat Moroccan stew about tree times a week and fortune cookies)

GAMES
Inducing dependence on the group by introducing games with obscure rules.
(uh huh everything in life is now a financial game! And Gareth is the MASTER of games with strange rules - spooky)

GUILT
Reinforcing the need for 'salvation' by exaggerating the sins of the former lifestyles.
(I used to smoke = bad
I used to spend money = really bad
He claims that I will be saved eventually ;)

FEAR
Maintaing loyalty and obedience to the group by threatening soul, life or limb for the slightest 'negative' thought, word or deed. (Gareth threatens me with the 'limb' thing on a nightly basis)

REPLACEMENT OF RELATIONSHIPS
Destroying pre-cult families
(I LIVE WITH MY MOTHER AT MY AGE!!!)

THE LIKEY RECRUIT
1. Upper/Middle income family backgroud (CHECK)
2. Average to above average intelligence (CHECK CHECK)
3. Good education (CHECK CHECK CHECK)
4. Idealistic (CHECK CHECK CHECK CHECK!!!)

(I read this all out load to my mother and Gareth one night - we couldn't stop laughing. I told Gareth that he was the PERFECT CULT LEADER!!!)

No comments: