Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Tipping gets on my tits

GARETH SAYS…

Whilst hanging out in some of the touristy areas of the city with Mum and Mike last week we were bombarded by some of the most aggressive tip requests I have ever experienced. It was unrelenting…

In a Russian accent and very fast: “The tip is $7.50 please leave that separately on the table. Do not put the tip in with your payment for the food. Keep it separate. It is $7.50 that you owe me”

In a tour guide voice: “As you leave the boat there is a member of the crew with a tip jar. This jar is for the staff and crew. I do not get any tips from this jar. I shall we waiting when you get off the boat. I truly appreciate your tips.”

It drove me mad.

I’m British.

I hate tipping unless a tip has really be deserved.

A tip – in my world – should never be demanded.

The problem in America is that the price you pay for things is false. In a restaurant the food is cheap because the owners aren’t paying the staff enough. The tip is effectively a tax on your food. I would rather pay the true price for the meal which includes a decent wage for the staff. That way servers can concentrate on doing a great job rather than spending their time writing elaborate ‘thank yous’ and smiley faces on my bills.

I wonder how much money I would make if I stood by the door of our office shaking a tips tin as everyone left in the evening?

No comments: