Thursday, May 22, 2008

The kindness of strangers

GARETH SAYS…

On Monday something wonderful happened when I got into work and started checking my emails.

A lady called Alexis (I’m hoping Alexis is a girl’s name) had sent us $20 via the ‘Donate Now’ button! Our first ever donation. We only put the button on semi-jokingly and suddenly out of the blue a total stranger, a wonderfully generous stranger had felt compelled to send us some money.

We were touched and felt very guilty: “Is this begging?”

Alexis sent us a super sweet note along with her $20…

“I have been reading your blog and just wanted to let you both know that I think it is inspirational! Having heaps of student debt myself (although UK student debt, so not quite $180,000) I was so impressed about your dedication to sort things out for your futures. I have been inspired to do something similar and pull my finger out to help myself!”

It gave us a little glowing feeling inside knowing that we had inspired someone to do something about their own situation.

A lot of good has already come out of this mad caper.

I hope there is a lot more to come.

No comments: