Wednesday, July 16, 2008

A daughter's hand in marriage

GARETH SAYS...

I wanted to do the proposal right so i made sure i got permission from Amy's mum in advance (her dad sadly passed away two years ago). I got pretty nervous about it so i decided to write her a letter rather than go all Hugh Grant trying to do it face-to-face. Here's what i wrote...

June 25th 2008

Dear Marie

I’m writing you this short letter, not because I want to be formal but because I’m worried about getting tongue-tied asking you this in person.

As I hope you are aware, I love Amy.

She has completely swept me off my feet. I have never met someone so inspiring, beautiful and smart.

It might seem crazy but I knew on our first date that she was the one for me.

I would love to grow old with Amy.

I am therefore writing to ask for your permission to have your daughter’s hand in marriage.

Fingers crossed I’ll get your blessing as I would love to be able to propose to Amy in Morocco.

I promise to do everything I can to make your daughter feel loved and supported in whatever she chooses to do.

I also promise to do everything I can to make her laugh every single day.

I look forward to chatting when you get this.

Lots of love

Gareth

No comments: